CDC Recommended Activities
The usual Halloween parties and games will need to be adjusted this year. Thankfully, the kids are getting into the new normal with masks and social distancing. What kind of changes will be necessary this year to be safe? The CDC lists some ideas that they feel are necessary but are still fun.
- Carving or decorating pumpkins with members of your household and displaying them
- Carve or decorate pumpkins outside, at a safe distance, with neighbors or friends
- Decorating your house, apartment, or living space
- Doing a Halloween scavenger hunt where children have lists of Halloween-themed things to look for while they walk outdoors from house to house looking at the Halloween decorations at a distance
- Have a virtual Halloween costume contest
- Enjoy a Halloween movie night with people you live with
- Make a scavenger hunt-style trick-or-treat search with your household members in or around your home rather than going house to house
Costumes and Masks
There are many ideas as to how to keep the Halloween costumes in a safe guideline. First, use a face mask rather than the costume mask. There are many colors and theme-based face masks to coordinate into the costumes. Next, be sure the kids keep those hands sanitized! Remind them not to share or pass around their costume props or candy buckets with the other kids.
Candy and Treats
Tell the kids to hold off on digging into the treats until you get home and do an inspection. Make sure candy is individually wrapped. If you’re the one passing the candy out, it is best to put it into individual goodie bags. Then, place the bags in a large bucket or bowl at the end of the drive or walkway for well-distanced pickup. If you choose to pass out candy from your door, be sure to wear a mask and gloves.
There is no way to get out of the fact that this year, Halloween is different. Some use the word inconvenient. In the end, it is all worthwhile if everyone stays safe. Kids are very adaptable and will, most likely, make the changes a lot easier than adults might think. Don’t worry, have fun, stay safe! As always, True Protection is here to keep you safe. Remember, you can give us a call anytime to go over your alarm system security and offer suggestions or upgrades that you will find beneficial.